Biotechnology is the branch of engineering that deals with the industrial processing, in laboratories and pilot plants, of raw materials for the purpose of obtaining high-value products from the action of microorganisms, animal and vegetable cells, enzymes and cell components.
This science has taken giant strides in recent decades; the biggest impact on the economic development of the countries that invest in biotechnology has come from the sectors of agricultural production, livestock production, and the prevention of environmental degradation.
ITESO, specifically its Department of Technological and Industrial Processes, has decided to participate in this scientific advancement by opening the undergraduate program in Biotechnological Engineering and inaugurating the Biotechnology Labs, a setting where students can engage in activities that will develop specific competencies, such as the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of efficient and highly productive processes for generating bioproducts that meet both economic and environmental needs.
This learning and research space will enable students and professors to innovate and undertake projects that will generate wealth in the region, promote the creation of quality jobs, and offer products that meet specific social needs through the design, engineering and development of bioprojects.
In addition, the spaces and equipment will allow ITESO to offer services with an aim to building ties with companies in the biotechnology industry and developing Professional Application Projects.
The Biotechnology Labs include four specialized areas:
- The Microbiology Lab has equipment and services for isolating and identifying microorganisms of biotechnological interest for use on an industrial scale.
- The Molecular Biology Lab is equipped with instruments for extracting, analyzing and manipulating genetic material, with a focus on identifying species, obtaining industrially attractive cell lines or testing for the presence of mutated genes in vegetable cells, among many other possibilities.
- The Bioreactor Lab has systems with different volumes for cultivating cells, equipped with parameter monitoring and automatic control for developing industrial-scale cultivation protocols.
- The Bioseparation Lab is equipped for setting up systems to separate and purify molecules of interest derived from cell cultures.
These spaces will offer high-technology services to the biotechnology industry in the region and contribute to its social and economic development, with a focus on ethics and responsibility.
ITESO's new Biotechnology Labs
Department of Technological and Industrial Processes
An academic and research space for students and professors to innovate and undertake new projects that generate wealth, spur the creation of quality jobs and offer products that meet social needs through the design, engineering and development of bioprojects. These labs will offer high-technology services to the biotechnology industry in the region and contribute to its social and economic development.
They include four specialized areas:
- The Microbiology Lab
- The Molecular Biology Lab
- The Bioreactor Lab
- The Bioseparation Lab